SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | Popsugar 2018 Reading Challenge Update #1

beginning of the world in the middle of the night jen campbell books review reading

Another year, another Popsugar Reading Challenge! Similarly to last year I'll be sharing updates here every so often over the next twelve months as I attempt to cross off as many of the 2018 prompts as possible - wish me luck!

Surprisingly I managed to make a good start on the challenge this year, crossing off three prompts within the first week of January, and have done a little more planning when it comes to picking out my reads for the rest of 2018 so I'm feeling pretty optimistic. Today I thought I would share a little bit more about the first six prompts I've completed.

A Book With A Time Of Day In The Title | The Beginning Of The World In The Middle Of The Night, Jen Campbell (2017)

This short story collection was top of my 2018 TBR so I decided to pick up a copy in January. The books contains a really unique selection of tales and as with most collections I enjoyed some more than others. The ones that stood out to me as particularly memorable were Animals, Human Satellites and Aunt Libby's Coffin Hotel.

A Book That's Mentioned In Another Book | Tales Of The Peculiar, Ransom Riggs (2016)

Our January book club pick was this collection of illustrated short stories, a companion to the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. I understand that these tales are mentioned several times through the books although I have to confess I haven't yet read them, but if the stories in this collection are anything to go by that will change soon! Overall I really enjoyed the book and it has given me high hopes for the rest of our 2018 book club reads.

A Book With A LGBTQ+ Protagonist | Far From The Tree, Robin Benway (2017)

Far From The Tree tells the story of three siblings meeting for the first time. After two were adopted by different families and the third grew up in the foster system, the three teens are brought together and the novel follows their journey as they learn more about each other and themselves. I didn't choose to read the book with a challenge prompt in mind (I just really enjoyed the author's previous novel) but I really loved this one and would highly recommend it! Keep an eye out for my full review here on BB next month.

popsugar reading challenge update books 2018

A Past Goodreads Choice Award Winner | Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng (2017)

There were so many titles to choose from for this prompt but the one that was already highest on my TBR list was Little Fires Everywhere; 2017's 'Best Fiction' winner and the book everyone has been talking about for the past few months. From the writing style to the characters, I really loved everything about this one and it certainly lives up to the hype. If you haven't picked up a copy yet it's definitely one to add to your 2018 TBRs!

A Book From A Celebrity Book Club | Marlena, Julie Buntin (2017)  

There are quite a few celebrity book clubs out there to choose from but I've been closely following the selections over at Belletrist, created by Emma Roberts and Karah Preiss. There were several Belletrist book club picks on my TBR, but I had already picked up a Kindle copy of Marlena, last May's pick. Narrated by Cat, the book explores her short-lived teenage friendship with Marlena and the affect her death has had on Cat's life. Overall it was an interesting read, but sadly not one of my favourites.

A Book With An Animal In The Title | The Moth, Catherine Burns (2013)

As you can see I've really been enjoying short story collections lately! This collection of fifty true stories transcribed from the organisation's live storytelling events is full of fascinating and unique tales that range from heartwarming to heartbreaking and everything in between. I'd definitely recommend picking this one up, or subscribing to the podcast if you'd prefer to hear the voices behind the stories.

If you're taking part in the Popsugar 2018 Reading Challenge I'd love to hear from you. Let me know which prompts you've crossed off the list and which books you're planning to pick up next!

Follow

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.