SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

BB Book Club | March's Book Is...

broadcast liam brown book club

I can't believe it's time to announce our third BB book club read already!

I originally had a short story collection in mind for my first book club pick however after January and February's titles both fell under this umbrella I decided to mix things up for March's selection and settled on something a little different; Liam Brown's Broadcast.

Back in November last year Ria and I took a trip to Libreria in Shoreditch and spent a little time browsing the shelves (and sheltering from the rain!) in search of book club inspiration. Drawn in by the promise of “Black Mirror meets Inception in the YouTube age” Ria plucked Broadcast off the shelf and passed it to me, declaring it sounded like 'my kind of book'. Of course, after 5+ years of running a book blog together Ria knows what she's talking about and after taking a quick look at the intriguing blurb (and striking cover design) I decided to buy a copy.

The idea behind MindCast is simple. We insert a small chip into your skull and then every thought, every feeling, every memory is streamed live, twenty-four hours a day. Trust me - within a few months you'll be the most talked about person on the planet.

So what's the book about?

According to the blurb, Broadcast follows vlogger David Callow who is offered the chance to star in a new online show, quickly becoming a huge celebrity and leading him to rethink his decision to share his life with the world. Commenting on social media culture, it sounds like the story is set to get pretty dark as David rebels against MindCast and discovers more about the person or people behind this truly terrifying idea.

Although I wanted to dive in and find out more back when I bought the book I also knew that it was a strong book club contender and at just shy of 200 pages Broadcast fits our theme of 'short stories' perfectly (online listings all seem to say the book has 288 pages but my copy definitely has 195!). The book had been sitting quietly on my bedside table for a few months although I have to confess I pre-read it earlier this month (twice!) in order to plan some related content. Of course, I won't give anything away other than to say I really enjoyed it and I hope you will too!

If you decide to join in with the BB Book Club this month you can let us know your thoughts on the book by completing this Google form by 23rd March. You can also use the hashtag #bookshelfbookclub to share your book photos and thoughts with us.

No matter where in the world you're based, you can pick up a copy of Broadcast over on The Book Depository, or head to your local library.


I hope that you're excited to read our March selection but don't worry if it doesn't sound like your thing - check back next month for Kelly's first book club pick!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.