SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Features | A Halloween TBR


I've never really been very big on Halloween (I do not like being scared) but I never say no to seasonal reading and even I, a notorious hater of fear in any form, enjoy having my spine tingled by a chilling story every now and then. So, here are three books I'll be reading this month to get into the spooky Halloween spirit.

One-by-one, the students of Osborne High are dying in a series of gruesome murders, each with increasing and grotesque flair. As the terror grows closer and the hunt intensifies for the killer, the dark secrets among them must finally be confronted.
When Erin reviewed There's Someone Inside Your House recently she described it as 'a teen slasher movie in novel form'. Honestly, I am not a fan of teen slasher movies. Blood and gore? Not my thing. So why is this number one on my Halloween themed reading list? Well, Stephanie Perkins's other books (Anna and the French Kiss etc.) are among my favourite novels so I trust her to write something I'll enjoy, and I figure since this is a novel and not a movie, the gore can't be quite so graphic... right?

Heather agrees to a group camping holiday with Dougie and his friends because she's desperate to get closer to him. But when the two of them disturb a pagan burial site above the beach, she becomes certain that they have woken a malevolent spirit. Something is alive out there in the pitch-black dark, and it is planning to wreak deadly revenge.
Black Cairn Point sounds suitably spooky and atmospheric with its rural Scottish setting and supernatural twist. It's one I've been meaning to read for a couple of years now and this is the year I'm finally going to get up the guts to do it! I don't think I have too much to worry about anyway. I'm already not overly fond of camping so what's it going to make me scared of? Malevolent spirits? Way ahead of you, book. Erin reviewed this one too, back in 2015, if you want to know more about it.

Do you know what lived in the ancient forests, before we walked the earth? Do you know of the giants and cannibals who came before us? Do you know the origins of the first ymbryne? These are the stories that came long before us peculiars, and that will outlive us all.
Promising tales of cannibals, ghosts, and fork-tongued princesses, Tales of the Peculiar sounds set to be every bit as strange and unsettling as the series it is companion to. If the Wights and Hollowgast of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children are anything to go by, I'm sure these short stories from the peculiar world will have plenty of chilling characters to creep me right out and keep me up way past my bedtime.

So those are the books I'll be giving myself nightmares with in the run up to Halloween. What about you? Do you have any spooky books on your TBR to get you in the spirit for All Hallows' Eve?

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.