SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Riders | Veronica Rossi | Review



“My team - an actor, a drunk, and a sociopath - didn't exactly inspire confidence.” 

"Nothing but death can keep eighteen-year-old Gideon Blake from achieving his goal of becoming a U.S. Army Ranger. As it turns out, it does. 
While recovering from the accident that most definitely killed him, Gideon finds himself with strange new powers and a bizarre cuff he can’t remove. His death has brought to life his real destiny. He has become War, one of the legendary four horsemen of the apocalypse." - Goodreads

Finding out you've died is one thing, but finding out you're now one of the four horsemen is another. Gideon Blake is now War, and with the help of Daryn, the girl with all the secrets, Gideon has to find Conquest, Famine and Death. When he's done that, they can help save humanity from an ancient evil.

This book was good? I think? I sort of didn't quite know what to make of it. I gave it three stars mostly because I couldn't decide if I liked it more or less than that. It was one of those books. You know the ones I mean. You enjoyed it, but there wasn't enough that you loved about it to make you bump up it's star rating.

I definitely liked the idea of the book: the four horsemen of the Apocalypse as young adults who have the save the world? Sure! Why not? And I liked most of the characters, and how different they were from each other. Daryn infuriated me, and I didn't like her at all, but there are always characters you're not going to like.

This book was written in an odd way, not a style that I'd read before. Gideon narrates the entire thing from the 'present' as he is drugged and bound by the authorities as they interrogate him about his involvement in an international incident. Because it was written like this - Gideon telling the story to his captors - every so often in the story, he'll throw in a word or sentence which reminds you that you're reading what he's telling the authorities. If that makes sense. I find the style a bit hard to get into, but got used to it after a while.

There were a few thing that I 'called' before they happened, but overall the story was quite intriguing. I don't know that I'd read it again, and I definitely enjoyed Rossi's Under the Never Sky series a lot better. You can read Niina's review of the first in the series here. 

I don't think I'll bother with the next in the series, but it was a good read, and if it sounds like something you might enjoy then give it a go.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.