SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Snow White | Matt Phelan | Review

*Image and book provided by NetGalley.

Summary:

A graphic novel version of the classic Snow White story set in 1930's Depression Era New York City. 

Review:

There isn't a lot of dialogue in this book and the base story is very familiar so I'm going to focus on the artwork. Phelan is incredibly talented. The copy I received was all shaded work, no real color, with the promise that the full book would be published in color, but I'm not sure I'd want to read it then. The whole story works so well with the film noir styling. It's already so beautiful that I hope the final, full color version of the book uses muted colors at most. 

I'm not normally one for retelling of classic fairy tales (The Lunar Chronicles being the exception) but this was such an engaging retelling. The Depression Era setting is well thought out and integrated. The use of a ticker machine instead of a magic mirror and the "glass coffin" are so perfect for the setting and the story. 

I'm a little hesitant to recommend the final book since I'm not sure how full color will affect the overall feel of the book, but, fingers crossed, it'll still be just as beautiful and heart-warming.  

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.