SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

The Little Prince | Antoine de Saint-Exupery | Review by Anjali


My lovely friend bought this book for me for Christmas, and I read it in one sitting (not hard, in that it's only about 100 pages long). My first thought when finishing it was 'why haven't I read that sooner?' I really loved it, it was cute and sweet, and short and snappy, and yet full of magic and wonder.

The story begins with a pilot who has crashed in the Sahara desert. He meets a little boy, a small Prince, and eventually the Prince tells the pilot how he got there. He left his small planet after falling in love with a single rose that grew there and catching her in a lie. He steps off his planet to explore the universe and finds, along his way, a multitude of adults on their own planets. They are strange, these adults, with their narrow-minded view of everything, they were stuck in their ways, consumed with their occupations. Eventually he arrives on Earth, where he meets several animals, and also the pilot and narrator of the story.

Of course there's more than that, but I feel if I keep writing I'll just paraphrase the entire book. It sounds crazy and weird, but it's wonderful and is written beautifully. While it is translated from the original French, it's done so in a fantastic way, and there are some great lines in it. If you're after a quick read, a fun and yet though provoking read, do read The Little Prince. It's beautiful.

Favourite quotes: 
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

“You - you alone will have the stars as no one else has them...In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night...You - only you - will have stars that can laugh.”

“Well, I must endure the presence of a few caterpillars if I wish to become acquainted with the butterflies.”

“It is such a mysterious place, the land of tears.”

It's so sweet! I do believe I read somewhere too, that they were turning it into a movie, so read the book before the movie comes out, if you're like me and that's what you like to do.


This review was written by regular reviewer Anjali, get to know her here
Image from Good Reads.  


No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.