SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Fight Club | Chuck Palahniuk | Review


Chuck Palahniuk's first novel tells of a young man who suffers from insomnia, he becomes addicted to going to support groups as a impostor. Soon other important characters appear, such as Marla another trickster who enjoys support groups and more importantly Tyler a key character who he befriends on a flight. They in turn set up a Fight Club, of course the first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club.

I'm quite possibly one of the only people around to have not watched this film, this book has been sat on my to-read shelf for a couple years and I finally picked up when I had the urge to watch the film. Of course I couldn't watch the film knowing the book was sat there unread - so I picked it up and off I went.

I have to say I had high expectations, many friends have rated this book 5/5 on goodreads, but I have to say I struggled for the first 50 or so pages. I found the text difficult to read and the story line difficult to connect with. However something seemed to change around the 50 pages mark and suddenly I got into the swing and style of the story.

I enjoyed the main character, his quirks, insomnia and all, the journey he goes on is distressing yet enticing, while I wanted to hide behind my hands whilst reading some of the description I also had to keep going, I needed to know where he was going to end up.

As I said previously this book got off to a rocky start, I found it all very stereotypical male and as a female who hates fighting and violence, it was a tricky read. That however is not to say that I didn't enjoy it, I did and would definitely recommend it.

Now I best get round to watching the film adaptation!

This post was written by regular reviewer Laura, get to know her here.
Image from Goodreads

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.