SLIDER

WELCOME TO BLOGGER'S BOOKSHELF...


where our team of writers love to talk all things books, sharing reviews, features, lists, interviews and more.

Getting lost in a book is escapism at it's finest and it's what everyone who contributes here thrives on.

NEWSLETTER

Carry the One | Carol Anshaw | Review

 photo DSCF7225_zps33c7dc78.jpg

“When you add us up, you always have to carry the one.” Following a devastating moment in the hours after Carmen’s wedding, three siblings and their friends move through the next twenty-five years under its long shadow. - (source)

My mum bought me Carry the One for Christmas and upon reading the back I was a bit surprised it seemed not my usual cup of tea and even more unusual book for my mum to pick up for me, it seemed depressing and well.. slightly boring. However I dived into the book and got straight into it. The book begins at Carmen's wedding, a very nice setting and all seems well. A whirlwind later and everybody's lives have been turned upside down all because of drugs oh and the car crash. But hey they were just kids having fun right... ? The fun ended when prison started. 

Carry the One isn't your usual tragedy story, it's not immensely sad and it doesn't focus on the past. The book spends its time going in and out of the lives of our main characters which include Alice, Carmen and Nick. We see drama and sadness but also happiness with big events thrown up. Overall I was delightfully surprised with this book as I didn't know how the story would actually be written. It almost jumps in time between characters, entwining them all together with their own stories.

Despite what I first thought I really enjoyed Carry the One. I especially enjoyed the character of Alice and her artistic ways. If you want something a little quirky, true to life and totally unsuspecting I would recommend this to you a lot. It's full of twists and turns, love and heartache and just people living their lives who carry a great weight. It's a wonderful book. 

This review was written by regular reviewer Elle, learn more about her here.
Photo credit to Elle.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Blogger's Bookshelf • Theme by Maira G.